Our Mission Is You
Student Life is dedicated to the education and development of UCR's diverse student body and to creating a meaningful, learning-centered campus life for students at the university.
Student Life works in active partnership with student, faculty and staff colleagues to foster and support student opportunities for learning, involvement, leadership, community building and creative expression that complement classroom experiences. Student Life further supports student organizations and their leaders, and they in turn provide programs and resources to the student body and the wider university community.
Prepare, Enjoy, Inform and Involve Yourself
Student Life wants every student to get the most out of their UCR experience. From assisting new students during Highlander Orientation and hosting workshops for first-year students, to providing an off-campus housing guide, programs for commuters and leadership training, Student Life has created dozens of resources to serve and assist UCR's growing and ever-changing family of diverse students. Explore the Prepare Yourself, Enjoy Yourself, Inform Yourself and Involve Yourself to learn more about all Student Life has to offer.
- During Highlander Orientation, we assist students with their transition to UCR. We introduce them to new friends and help them make connections to campus resources that will help them succeed, both academically and personally.
- During Highlander Orientation, we help new students through the registration process.
- During Highlander Orientation, we help students become accustomed to the campus through informal campus tours.
- Students stay overnight at Highlander Orientation, preparing them for the residence hall experience.
- We provide a mentor program that enables first-year students to succeed, both in and out of the classroom.
- We connect first-year students with staff resources that assist them with life and academic skills, and get them involved on campus.
- We assist students in making the most of their first-year experience.
- We coordinate the annual Block Party event that showcases popular musical groups and the wide variety of student organizations at UCR.
- We coordinate student organization sign-ups and involvement in campus wide activities such as Block Party and Homecoming.
- We provide activities for students during Highlander Welcome, giving them the opportunity to interact with other UCR students.
- We cultivate Highlander spirit and pride by hosting Homecoming celebration activities.
- At Highlander Orientation, students learn various Highlander cheers, interesting UCR facts, the Fight song (sung at athletic events) and the Alma Mater (sung by all students at Commencement).
- We provide students with opportunities to work in the Student Life office and help organize and produce campus events.
- We produce a monthly newsletter that informs student organizations of upcoming dates and events.
- We provide paid employment opportunities for students.
- We assist students in finding ways to get involved on campus and help them find necessary resources.
- We provide opportunities for commuter students to interact, learn about transportation options and connect with campus resources.
- We host monthly Commuter Pit Stops that provide snacks, transportation information and updates on upcoming campus activities.
Student Organizations/Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Leadership retreats during fall quarter provide information to student organizations on how to be successful, navigate campus resources and plan events.
- We assist student organizations with the registration process.
- We help student organizations plan events.
- We provide assistance with starting new student organizations.
- We provide workshops on all sorts of topics relevant to student organizations.
- Student Organization advisers work with students to develop workshops that meet their needs.
- The Student Organization Workroom has banner paint, computers and workspace for student use.
- We provide the HighlanderLink database that students can use to find organizations that are of interest.
- We coordinate student organization involvement in Highlander Orientation, Block Party and Homecoming.
- We provide ice breaker and team-building resources.
- A leadership library is available for students to check out resources.
- Students can create a co-curricular transcript that is an official document of their volunteer and work experience.