Transfer of Benefits to Dependents

A service member walks with a small child through a field of flags.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Benefits to Dependents

We strongly recommend that you thoroughly acquaint yourself with information available at the VA's website: Here are the four steps to transfer benefit eligibility:

Step 1: The servicemember applies for Transfer of Educational Benefits at

Step 2: Once the TEB request is approved, the student submits a request for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VA, using VA Form 22-1990e, which can be found at the VA website:

Step 3: The student submits the Certificate of Eligibility to Financial Aid.  

Step 4: Once enrolled in classes, the student visits Student Special Services to complete the Enrollment Certification process. This must be done each quarter after you enroll in classes.

Make Back Up Plans to Carry You Through

Given that this process may take quite some time, we recommend that you make backup plans for paying your initial school expenses. Possible alternatives:

  • Apply for financial aid at
  • Apply for UCR's Deferred Payment Plan for payment of University fees at

Once payment is received from Veterans Affairs, you will be refunded any applicable fees you have paid.

Important Details about VA Educational Benefits

  • Benefits are payable only for courses that apply as degree requirements for the student's current degree objective. Each course certified to VA must reduce the time required to earn the degree.
  • Students must certify with Financial Aid each quarter after enrolling in courses to request Enrollment Certification be submitted to VA.
  • Student must promptly inform Financial Aid of any change in their enrollment.
  • Nonattendance in courses, withdrawal from courses, and receiving "NoCredit" or "Incomplete" grades may result in students having to repay benefits to VA, including tuition and fees paid by the VA to the University on the student's behalf.
  • Financial Aid is required to notify VA if a student is on probation or subject to dismissal for two consecutive quarters.
  • It is the student's responsibility to regularly check his or her UCR email account and Growl to review campus academic and administrative electronic correspondence. 
  • Students are responsible for paying any fees that are not paid on their behalf by the VA, and are responsible for all debts resulting from reductions or terminations of their enrollments.
  • Students are responsible for notifying Financial Aid of any outstanding VA debt.