Prepare, Enjoy, Inform and Involve Yourself
Student Life wants every student to get the most out of his or her UCR experience. Below is a list of every service and program we provide, separated into four categories: Prepare Yourself, Enjoy Yourself, Inform Yourself and Involve Yourself.
From assisting new students during orientation and providing workshops for first-year students, to providing an off-campus housing guide, programs for commuters and leadership training, Student Life has created literally dozens of resources to serve and assist UCR's growing and ever-changing family of diverse students.
- During Orientation, we assist students with the transition to UCR. We introduce them to new friends and help them make connections on campus to resources that will help them succeed, both academically and personally.
- During Orientation, we help new students through the registration process.
- During Orientation, we helps students become accustomed to the campus through informal campus tours.
- Students stay overnight at Orientation, preparing for the residence hall experience.
First Year Programs
- We provide a mentor program that enables first-year students to succeed, both in and out of the classroom.
- We connect first-year students with staff resources that assist them with life and academic skills, and get them involved on campus.
- We assist students in making the most of their first-year experience.
- We coordinate the annual Block Party event that showcases popular musical groups and the wide variety of student organizations at UCR.
- We coordinate student organization sign-ups and involvement in campus wide activities such as Block Party and Homecoming.
- We provide activities for students during Welcome Week, giving them the opportunity to interact with other UCR students.
- We cultivate Highlander spirit and pride by providing Homecoming celebration activities.
- At Orientation, students learn various Highlander cheers, interesting UCR facts, the Fight song (sung at athletic events) and the Alma Mater (sung by all students at Commencement).
- We provide students with opportunities to work in the Student Life Office and help organize and put on campus events.
- We produce a monthly newsletter which informs student organizations of upcoming dates and events.
- We provide paid employment opportunities for students.
- We assist students in finding ways to get involved on campus and help them find necessary resources.
- We provide opportunities for commuting students to interact, learn about transportation options and connect with campus resources.
- We put on monthly Commuter Pit Stops that provide snacks, transportation information and updates on upcoming campus activities.
Student Organizations/Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Leadership retreats during fall quarter provide information to student organizations on how to be successful, navigate campus resources and plan events.
- We assist student organizations with the registration process.
- We help student organizations plan events.
- We provide assistance with starting new student organizations.
- We provide workshops on all sorts of topics relevant to student organizations.
- Student Organization advisors work with students to develop workshops that meet their needs.
- The Student Organization Workroom has banner paint, computers, and workspace for students to utilize.
- We have a database called HighlanderLink that students can use to find organizations that are of interest.
- We coordinate student organization involvement in Highlander Orientation, Block Party and Homecoming.
- We provide ice breaker and team-building resources.
- A leadership Library is available for students to check out resources.
- Students can create a co-curricular transcript which is an official document of their volunteer and work experience.