Deployment of Reservists

A student service member walks to class dressed in their uniform.

When you are called up to active duty, you put your personal life on hold.

We know it's a difficult time. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to leave without worrying about your education and return when you're ready.

Just like your family, we'll be here waiting for your return. The information below explains UC Riverside policies and designed to assist you. In addition, there are some links to resources and websites that will be useful to you during the transition to your deployment.

  • Application Fee Waivers for Students Called to Duty

    If you are an incoming student who is called to active duty, you may be able to obtain a waiver of the $60 University application processing fee. The application fee can be credited toward admission in another quarter during the same academic year. For questions or to see if you qualify, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (951) 827-3411.

  • Impact of Withdrawal on Financial Aid

    The U.S. Department of Education has modified the withdrawal requirements of colleges for the "Return of Title IV Funds" for students called to active duty. Typically, when a student totally withdraws from classes, colleges have 30 days to return a portion of federal student aid the student has received. Contact the UCR Financial Aid Office at (951) 827-3878 for more information.

  • Student Loan Issues

    The U.S. Department of Education has issued special guidance to lenders regarding reservists who have Perkins, Stafford or Plus loans. If you are a member of the National Guard or Reserves who is ordered to active military duty, you should notify your lenders to request extended loan deferments and/or forbearance while on active duty.

  • Release Authorization for Reservists Called to Active Duty

    If you are in the armed services reserves and think you might be called to active service, consider preparing a full-University release authorization. The authorization gives your parents, spouse or friend access to your records and allows them to take action, such as withdrawing from the university, on your behalf.

    The release authorization is intended to speed any bureaucratic processes that may present themselves while you're deployed. If you do not authorize a release, the University is fully committed to working with you to process actions "long distance" or after your release from service. If you have questions regarding the release authorization or how being moved to active duty will affect your enrollment status, contact the Registrar's Office at (951) 827-3402 or (951) 827-7284.

    Download a Permission to Release Education Record Information form

  • Armed Forces Pre-Deployment Checklist

    Being separated from family and friends is never easy, but this Pre-deployment Guide can make it a more bearable experience.

    Pre-Deployment Checklist for Family Members

  • Guard and Reserve Deployment: Guides & Resources

    This is a helpful guide from the folks at Deployment Guides and Resources.

  • Seamless Transition Home

    VA is ready to provide health care and more to our newest veterans returning from the armed services.

    Seamless Transition Home

  • Military One Source

    Military One Source is provided by the Depart of Defense at no cost to active duty, Guard and Reserve service members (regardless of activation status), and their families. It is a virtual extension of installation services. Visit Military One Source or call (800) 342-9647.