Learn about Academic Residency Requirements
- The minimum residence at the UC required for a degree is three quarters. One of the
three quarters may be completed in a UCR summer session in which the student carries
12 units (unless a reduced load is approved in advance by the dean of the student’s
- Courses completed in UC Extension are not considered work in residence, even if taken
through concurrent enrollment.
- Thirty-five (35) of the final 45 units must be earned in residence in the student’s
college (this does not preclude the student from taking courses in other colleges
on campus). For students who are enrolled in the Education Abroad Program, UC Washington,
D.C. program, or UC Sacramento Program, 35 of the final 90 units, including the final
12 units, must be earned in residence. Eighteen (18) of the 35 units may be completed
in summer session courses on the Riverside campus.
- With the approval of the dean of a student’s college or school, a candidate for the
bachelor’s degree who was in active service in the armed forces of the United States
in the year preceding the awarding of the degree, may be recommended for the degree
after only one quarter of university residence in which the candidate completes at
least 16 units or passes a comprehensive examination in the major or field of concentration.
- Learn More: Academic Residency Requirements for Undergraduates