Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Benefits to Dependents
We strongly recommend that you thoroughly acquaint yourself with information available
at the VA's website: gibill.va.gov. Here are the four steps to transfer benefit eligibility:
Step 1: The servicemember applies for Transfer of Educational Benefits at benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp.
Step 2: Once the TEB request is approved, the student submits a request for a Certificate
of Eligibility (COE) to the VA, using VA Form 22-1990e, which can be found at the
VA website: vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp.
Step 3: The student submits the Certificate of Eligibility to Financial Aid.
Step 4: Once enrolled in classes, the student visits Student Special Services to complete
the Enrollment Certification process. This must be done each quarter after you enroll
Make Back Up Plans to Carry You Through
Given that this process may take quite some time, we recommend that you make backup
plans for paying your initial school expenses. Possible alternatives:
Once payment is received from Veterans Affairs, you will be refunded any applicable
fees you have paid.
Important Details about VA Educational Benefits
- Benefits are payable only for courses that apply as degree requirements for the student's
current degree objective. Each course certified to VA must reduce the time required
to earn the degree.
- Students must certify with Financial Aid each quarter after enrolling in courses to
request Enrollment Certification be submitted to VA.
- Student must promptly inform Financial Aid of any change in their enrollment.
- Nonattendance in courses, withdrawal from courses, and receiving "NoCredit" or "Incomplete"
grades may result in students having to repay benefits to VA, including tuition and
fees paid by the VA to the University on the student's behalf.
- Financial Aid is required to notify VA if a student is on probation or subject to
dismissal for two consecutive quarters.
- It is the student's responsibility to regularly check his or her UCR email account
and Growl to review campus academic and administrative electronic correspondence.
- Students are responsible for paying any fees that are not paid on their behalf by
the VA, and are responsible for all debts resulting from reductions or terminations
of their enrollments.
- Students are responsible for notifying Financial Aid of any outstanding VA debt.